Friday, July 21, 2017

summer madness {7 QTs!}

Summer, summer, summer, how are you so close to being over?!? Linking with Kelly with a non-NFP post, but highly recommending reading hers and lots of her links-- so good!!

1) How is your summer? I am sure I am joining the chorus of the vast majority of moms who have a love/hate relationship with summer. I am not a good mom and did not make any sort of bucket list and I mostly just let the kids run free which is good and bad. Some days I love how laid back things are, I love the lack of schedules doing nothing, but then other days if the door gets left open one more time from the kids running back and fourth I miiiiiight just flip my S**T. Plus Fred is currently electing to drop him AM nap which is it's own fresh hell. Either way I know the school year is close and when it comes I have to grow up and be a grown up who teaches my kids things and doesn't stay up too late every night watching documentaries about Dr. Dre. That thought makes me mucho sad (FYI I liked it, Mike didn't so much).

2) We did a little traveling to see family at the end of June/beginning of July and it was lovely.



I always feel so sad to not live in town with both sides of our family 5 minutes from each other, but it is always so great to see the relationships continue to grow between cousins even though there multiple states separating us. It'll be ok.

3) We hit up the Children's museum in Pittsburgh and the kids had a blast:




4) The week after we got back was rough because I like to see other adults every day and I was so very spoiled being with family and having constant interaction at my fingertips.My MIL even pushed me out the door for a mani/pedi (my first since my wedding!) AND multiple hours of solo-shopping and it was GLORIOUS.
Fresh pedi on one my my in-laws many gorgeous rugs.

But I've adjusted and I am back to my regularly scheduled program of kid-centered life, and it's good.

5) I made myself get down to brass tax and order our homeschool books for the year, and I actually got them all with the exception of math and I know this is the most boring quick take anyone has ever read but I think I am going to splurge and go for Math-U-See this year. Thoughts? Feedback? I still need to have Bernadette take her placement test and then actually order it and it's on the top of my to-do list so it should get done within the next month or so.

6) I need a good book to read!! I like war-time books and/or love stories (all the eye-rolls, I know). I also really need a page-turner because me-not-so-smart. But really I am tired and there are kids always running around and I just need something I can pick up and put down and pick up and pick down and still make progress on (turns out Leibowitz is NOT that).

7) And here is a little collage of when Joe Pio emptied the contents of an entire bottle of sunscreen onto himself because SUMMER.



10 comments :

  1. For what it's worth, I really like MUS. It can be as hands on as you want.

    Your in laws are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with a father in the Marine Corps, so we never lived close to my cousins and only saw them maybe once or twice a year. But those cousin connections are so strong! To this day, I consider them some of my best friends. :)
    P.S. Can't wait to meet you at the conference next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read The Magnolia Story yet? I wasn't sure I would like it (because hello, cliche) but it is so easy to read, and they really have an inspiring story. Chip was a sorta hero around town before they ever made it to TV. And he is so good to Joanna, it has been refreshing. (Also, they're Christians!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a good vacation with a lot of quality family time.

    Book recommendation: Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use and like Math-U-see too. The hands on stuff has been good for my kids, and the instructional videos are excellent. He's a little dry, but very good at offering tips and tricks for learning and memorizing basic math facts (only beginning 4th grade this year). My guilty pleasure is escapist love stories too; I try to avoid the ones with explicit sex scenes. Authors I've enjoyed that you'll probably find at your local library include: Becky Wade, Laura Frantz, Deanne Gist, and Karen Witemeyer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Nightingale. Fantastic WWII fiction. Couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recommend Resistance and Sea Glass by Anita Shreve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read Rilla of Ingleside by LM Montgomery? It's part of the Anne of Green Gables series but can totally be read as a stand alone. It's full of war time and romance, it's one of my very favourites, especially during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you read All the Light We Cannot See? It's quite good. You should also read The Book Thief if you haven't yet. One last recommendation--A Town Like Alice. It is a WW II movie that takes place in SE Asia and Australia. Not just about the war, though. The book is probably 50 years old but so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok you are ALL so awesome!!! I am picking one randomly here but I have enough recs to get me through the next summer/semester-- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete